News and Announcements
Hooray!! We’re playing again … with other people and umpires and mosquitoes and everything!
CLFHA MODIFIED LEAGUE FORMAT FOR 2021
- There will 2 divisions this summer.
- For Division I, weekly games will be held on Tuesday evenings.
- For Division II, weekly games will be held on Monday evenings + some Wednesday evenings if the Monday falls on a stat holiday/long weekend.
- We are reserving a couple of Wednesday evenings in late August in case there are weather-related events early in this shortened modified season.
- The season will be July and August (proposed start date is the week of July 5th) with a possibility of continuing through to mid-September, provided that FHA will similarly extend the timeframe for membership/insurance per below.
MANDATORY INSURANCE FOR ALL PARTICIPANTS VIA FHA/FHC MEMBERSHIP
- Link for Membership – https://www.rampregistrations.com/login?v3=a71e044b
- Usually effective from September 1st – August 31st. There are some updates for this year:
- For current FHC registrants (i.e. anyone who has purchased a membership through FHA’s Ramp for 2020-21, or who buys one from now until June 30, 2021, their registration is valid until Oct. 31, 2021
- This is for the FHC portion of your membership fee.
- FHA is currently discussing and reviewing and may/would have to make the same or similar decision to extend the membership.
- From a risk management perspective to ensure a safe return to the sport, players may only play in either Division I or Division II this summer.
- Goalies may play for other teams in the same division.
- Players are able to sub on other teams in the same division if that team is short of a full team (fewer than 10 field players).
- Umpires may umpire for either division.
- Masks are not required while playing or on the bench, but are required when not playing (coming to or leaving the pitch).
Field Hockey Canada is excited to announce plans to send national teams to the following World Masters Hockey (WMH) World Cup Tournaments:
- Indoor Tournament (Age groups: 40+ / 45+ / 50+ / 55+)
Virginia Beach, USA
Feb 15-20, 2022
- Outdoor Tournament (Age groups: 35+ / 40+)
August 12-21, 2022
- Outdoor Tournament (Age groups: 45+ / 50+ / 55+ / 60+ / 65+)
Cape Town, South Africa
October 1-10, 2022
The upcoming tournaments represent a new cycle of national Master’s teams. All participating teams will be open for trials. If you were previously accepted to represent Canada on any of the 2020 teams, please be advised that you will need to retrial for your age group.
Field Hockey Canada’s Masters program is 100% self-funded by athletes selected for World Cup teams. Athletes will be expected to pay a team levy (approximately $2000-$3000) to cover the costs of uniforms, accommodations, some transportation and for the coaches’ cost for international airfare and accommodation. There may be additional costs for training and tournament travel before the World Cup events.
To be eligible to trial for Masters World Cup competition you must:
- be age 35 and older
- have paid your provincial and FHC fees
- be a Canadian citizen or meet the residency requirements of WMH
- hold a valid passport
- register as a Masters player
Masters National Teams are selected to represent Canada in a World Cup, so please encourage as many people as possible to sign up to ensure that competitive squads are sent. Further details such as program policies will be shared in due course.
To register for Field Hockey Canada’s Women’s Masters Program, please follow this link: https://mastersfieldhockey.ca/masters-hockey-registration/
For those who are already registered, please also feel free to follow the link and complete the form to ensure your information and preferences are up to date.
While the World Masters Hockey and the host nations are excited to announce these dates, the health and safety of all athletes is paramount. Field Hockey Canada and WMH will continue to monitor the impact of the pandemic and make appropriate changes.
For more information about the Masters Program, please visit: https://mastersfieldhockey.ca/
Registration for Field Hockey Alberta’s Funstix program is now open for young athletes aged 5-9 years. All levels are welcome.
The program will start the week of May 3rd with locations in the following communities:
- Auburn Bay
- Coventry Hills
- Mount Pleasant
- Mount Royal
- Royal Oak
- Signall Hills
For more information about the program, including COVID measures in place and how to register, please visit this link: http://fieldhockey.ab.ca/content/2021-spring-funstix---calgary
Field Hockey Canada's first Team of Teams celebration week (Umpires and Officials) | March 22nd to March 26th
Field Hockey Canada has recently launched their Team of Teams movement. The purpose of this initiative is to connect the Canadian hockey community and unite it through a shared love of the sport. March 22nd to March 26th marks the first Team of Teams celebration week which will highlight and celebrate umpires and officials.
Here’s how you can get involved and contribute:
- Share Stories and Connect with FHC – If you have some excellent stories to share, or have ideas on how to highlight and engage members of our field hockey community on this topic, our friends at Field Hockey Canada would like to hear from you. Use hashtags #fieldhockeycanada and #FHCTeamofTeams to connect.
- Nominate and Recognize – If you have a dedicated official or umpire in your area that you want to highlight, nominate them by completing the Grassroots Umpire and Official Nomination Form by the submission deadline of Friday, March 19, 2021!